Friday, July 16, 2010

Bricks Quilt, Part 5

And here is my finished top!

Hello, little snails.

Bricks Quilt, Part 4

I am a fanatic about pinning my seams down. I go through and pin each side of the seams that butt together and I also pin down the seams that don't, just so everything lays flat. I pinned three rows together at a time, sewed them, and then sewed those sections together.

Bricks Quilt, Part 3

Then I spent awhile rearranging my strips to appear random without being too heavy in one color or pattern in any one place. I also sort of shot myself in the foot with my snail fabric, as it was the only one that had to be upright so no snails were crawling upside down (it would have bothered me, even if it doesn't bother others). Also, for some reason I had about 4 strips where I had "randomly" sewn the snails to the same block of dark green-blue fabric. It took some time, but I finally got to a point where it didn't matter that some of the same fabrics were next to each other in some areas, as long as it was some diversity and the snails were crawling on their merry ways, feet firmly planted on the ground.

After I got everything situated I cut pieces of paper and numbered them and then pinned them on in order. It makes it much easier when sewing together to not get out of order.

Bricks Quilt, Part 2

Here are my sewn pieces. I chain stitched one square to each rectangle. Over and over and over until I ended up with this pile.

After that I sorted out the different piles and then randomly chose 5 pieces and put those in stacks. I then sewed up all the pieces into strips.

Bricks Quilt Part 1

I am doing a quilt along with Unhistoric Acts. Here are her pictures of her fabrics and the first set of cuts she made.

Here are my fabrics. This set is one of the rejected collections from back when I was deciding how to decorate Autumn's room. I loved the little snails, but it just wasn't the perfect fit, so it has stayed in my fabric stash since late 2007.

Here are my cut stacks, ready to be sewn.